{ACR} Admin Crazy Rioters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
{ACR} Admin Crazy Rioters

Tremulous Clan

Home  Portal  Latest images  Search  RegisterRegister  Server Information  IM BugHuman  TeamspeakTeamspeak  IRC  Log in  
All Testing Decisions Will Be Made By The Second In Commands.

How to make your own server(windows)

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

How to make your own server(windows) Empty
PostSubject: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 10:59 pm

I need help on how to make my own server for windows, just maybe some basics on how to keep it running. Google results were complicated/poor.
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

How to make your own server(windows) 87495687

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 12:41 am

just to get you straight, trem server rite?
if so, post by tomorrow and ill write you one
*yawn* bedtime
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyrus.zzl.org/
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:14 pm

vyrus@ubuntu wrote:
just to get you straight, trem server rite?
if so, post by tomorrow and ill write you one
*yawn* bedtime
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 9:30 pm

eh, pending further drowsiness i have decided that i will refurbish my original tutorial ( server in linux )
to include windows and linux. this will obviously take some thought and stuff, *yawn*, uh, yea...
Back to top Go down
Atlantis
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 10:12 pm

gunner if your impatient then 1 word. !goober
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 10:49 pm

Atlantis wrote:

uh, specifically tjw guide to tremulous server would be very useful to someone like you - just a hint

aw wth here:

http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=3586.0

ill still write the one myself, but this is faster for you
you can go back and c what i do differently, always
good to be well educated in a topic =]
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 12:23 am

Atlantis wrote:
WhiteGunner wrote:
I need help on how to make my own server for windows, just maybe some basics on how to keep it running. Google results were complicated/poor.

Meh.
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

i just checked that guide i made, turns out it WAS for windows ...
read more gunner
https://theacr.darkbb.com/t1400-guide-to-make-a-server#14868
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:52 pm

vyrus@ubuntu wrote:
ok this is a simple guide for making a ( baasic ) tremulous server for windows ( 1.1).
if you would like me to add a section for linux i will be happy to oblige, on my
own time of course
the guide:

• first of all start out by making one folder to contain your server. you can call it whatever you want, but for purposes of this guide, lets call it ' tremserver '
  • secondly, you will need to acquire the necessary data for your server, you will need:

1. tremded.exe ( tremfusion's )
    2. game.qvm ( lakitu7 )
    3. data and map files ( vms-1.1.0.pk3 , map-atcs-1.1.0.pk3 , data-1.1.0.pk3 )
    4. server.cfg

• the next step is to organize all this data into something that the server will recognize, so here is a simplistic tree diagram of where everything should go
    (at least, the way I put things together, more later )
    a [folder] refers to a folder Rolling Eyes

[myserver]
    |
    [files] , tremded.exe
    |
    [base]
    |
    [vm] , server.cfg , data-1.1.0.pk3 , vms-1.1.0.pk3 , atcs.pk3 , ( any other maps )
    |
    game.qvm
  • ok so now you have all the data all put in the right place, and you're all ready to run your brand new server...but wait, are you ready? there is one last step before you can run it. when running a tremulous server, it is slightly different than the normal client, because you dont just run the client ( .exe ) file.
    instead you create what is called an executable text file that runs your server for you, and tells it where you put all that stuff just a minute ago, so here's a basic format for a file, save it as ' tremded.bat ' or anything else you want to call it, right next to tremded.exe

Code:

tremded.exe  set fs_basepath files/base  set fs_homepath files  set dedicated 2  set net_port 30000  exec server.cfg

if you don't want to bother with that, i've left a copy here

and now you can ran your server, but.....(again)
there are many nuances to writing these scripts, and i will make you aware of 2 options right now.
set dedicated 2 and
set net_port 30000

first off, the dedicated option allows you to set your server as a local ( in your network\router ) or global ( on the web ) server. the toggles for this are
local 1
global 2
so you can see that i set this as a global server

now the second option, set net_port sets a port for this server to use, under the ip of your computer ( or server box ). now this is the hardest part, so pay close attention ( Rolling Eyes ) if you do not have a port forwarded in your router to your ip, at this port number ( 30000 ), then your server will not show up on the global server list! ( in other words, your online pals wont be able to connect or see your server )

now i'm no expert on forwarding ports, and i certainly dont know what router ect that you are set up with, but here is a guide to port forwarding:
http://portforward.com/

once you have done all this, you should be good to set up your server, so here are some usefull nuggets of info once you have established that:

• the server.cfg file is where you can configure your server name and other nice things ( the one i put up has some usefull info in it thaks to tjw )
  • once you have successfully run the server, a file called admin.dat should be automatically created in the base folder, and you can modify that for different admin levels ( pretty self explanitory ) , and create custom commands ( more on that
    here)
  • useful info on tremulous servers ( tjw's guide) here
  • other useful info on tremulous in general, not exclusive to server making here
  • I did not include a mapconfig file in this guide, but it is easily available, you can find a simple one through tjw's bundle of server files here
    the reason i did not include this file, is because ( for simplicity and saving space ) I only included one map for your server. feel free to ad more Smile

I hope this guide is helpful, if you have any questions\comments ( ie WTF THIS DOESNT WORK AT ALL!!! ) just post a reply here, or pm me through the forums, and I will try to help!

- vyrus911
Can you add a picture setup or something describing what the files should look like whens its in place.
Cause you said the files can be arranged like this:
[myserver] (every folder underneath=files in folder) (Do i put each folder inside the previous folder or are they all next to each other? )

[file] (i just put only tremfusion files in here or do i add trem1.1? )

[base] ( files from 1.1 trem download ??? (Is [base] inside of [file] or next to it? )

[vm] (What do i put in VM and where is it?)

Game.qvm (i noticed there was no brackets meaning this isnt a folder. Is this trem1.1?)

Well... for server.cfg i noticed it was in the base folder already dont really know what it is for.
Tremded.bat = Tremded.bat is a (word doc) file and its in [file] For the coding, do i add them in like autogen?

Example NO.1:
tremded.exe set fs_basepath files/base set fs_homepath files set dedicated 2 set net_port 30000 exec server.cfg

EXAMPLE NO.2:
Tremded.exe
set fs_basepath files/base
set fs_homepath files
set dedicated 2
set net_port 30000
exec server.cfg

edit: after you say talk about tremded.bat and say "i left a copy here" what copy?
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:09 pm

WhiteGunner wrote:

Can you add a picture setup or something describing what the files should look like whens its in place. ill think it over
Cause you said the files can be arranged like this:
[myserver] (every folder underneath=files in folder) (Do i put each folder inside the previous folder or are they all next to each other? )
the folders are shown recursively, that means each folder underneath another is inside it

[file] (i just put only tremfusion files in here or do i add trem1.1? )
[files] is a folder, hence the brackets, NEXT to [files] is tremfusionded.exe ( or whatever you would like to call it) 1.1 tremded is ok 2 but i prefer using tremfusion caus its awesome and other cool things

[base] ( files from 1.1 trem download ??? (Is [base] inside of [file] or next to it? )
its inside of [files], its a completely new folder, without anything extra added ( except maps you want, and the files i show above )

[vm] (What do i put in VM and where is it?)
vm is just an empty folder in [base] where you put the game.qvm file (not so empty then) that specifies any (serverside) mods you would want

Game.qvm (i noticed there was no brackets meaning this isnt a folder. Is this trem1.1?)
the game.qvm file is one that you can swap out to change a number of serverside variables and settings and also includes any mods
they are custom, if you're starting out i suggest goobering lakitu7 and downloading his, that or p-g qvm

Well... for server.cfg i noticed it was in the base folder already dont really know what it is for.
Tremded.bat = Tremded.bat is a (word doc) file and its in [file] For the coding, do i add them in like autogen?
ok, server.cfg is just a standard tremulous .cfg file that sets variables at server startup ( ie servers name, a few cvars like sd time ect )
the .bat file is what you use to START the server, and its paticularly important using my file structure, because otherwise tremulous
will not know where to put \ find its data, since i manually changed the dirs. what you need to do is copy that line of code into a standard text ( .txt ) file, then save it, rename as a .bat or .cmd, and put it where its shown above, double click to run your server

Example NO.1:
tremded.exe set fs_basepath files/base set fs_homepath files set dedicated 2 set net_port 30000 exec server.cfg
yes

EXAMPLE NO.2:
Tremded.exe
set fs_basepath files/base
set fs_homepath files
set dedicated 2
set net_port 30000
exec server.cfg
GOD NO

edit: after you say talk about tremded.bat and say "i left a copy here" what copy?
i tend to clean house on my public storage occasionally, casualties are made, just copy the code i posted
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

I followed all the directions and i have every file in place. I don't know how to run my server =/
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 am

WhiteGunner wrote:
I followed all the directions and i have every file in place. I don't know how to run my server =/
double click the bat file!
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 am

I doubleclicked, a black prompt bat screen shows up for less then a second and if i keep clicking the .bat file the blackscreen says something about failure =/
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 am

WhiteGunner wrote:
I doubleclicked, a black prompt bat screen shows up for less then a second and if i keep clicking the .bat file the blackscreen says something about failure =/
post whatevers in the crash log file
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 12:55 am

How? The crashlog opens up for a split second then its gone
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2011 1:07 am

the console dumps errors in a file called crashlog.txt
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7188395/files/tremserver.zip
this is easier...
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 9:31 pm

I downloaded that file to [files]. Did you mean for it to run on tremfusion? I have 1.1 and tjw.trem. backport downloaded. I couldnt figure out why tremfusion keeps on going out of range.
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 pm

WhiteGunner wrote:
I downloaded that file to [files]. Did you mean for it to run on tremfusion? I have 1.1 and tjw.trem. backport downloaded. I couldnt figure out why tremfusion keeps on going out of range.

eh???
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 pm

vyrus@ubuntu wrote:
this is easier...

When i downloaded this file, i put it next to my tremulous1.1 files. I also had tjw.trem.org/backport downloaded. When i tried to run run.cmd it wouldnt work then when i read tremded.exe it said something about tremfusion. Do i need tremfusion to run your .cmd ?
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 pm

WhiteGunner wrote:
vyrus@ubuntu wrote:
this is easier...

When i downloaded this file, i put it next to my tremulous1.1 files. I also had tjw.trem.org/backport downloaded. When i tried to run run.cmd it wouldnt work then when i read tremded.exe it said something about tremfusion. Do i need tremfusion to run your .cmd ?

let me clarify myself:
download the .zip archive that i linked, extract it to your desktop,
then run run.cmd

if you want you can then move the folder and mess with it
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:38 pm

tremfusion 0.99r3_R1422 win_mingw-x86 Jul 6 2009
----- FS_Startup -----
fs_homepath: tremulous
fs_extrapath: C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Tremulous
fs_basepath: tremulous
fs_game: base
fs_basegame:
Current search path:
C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Tremulous/base
tremulous/base

Thats what happened when i tried to run it. Do i need some sort of file in my C: drive?
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 pm

did you just run the .exe ?
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:44 pm

no, i ran the run.cmd... I tried both running all your files (the one you told me to download) on the desktop, then i moved them around into my folders but that didnt work either.
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 11:46 pm

ok, get in the irc channel, or the homepage chatbox now, im booting a virtual windows box
Back to top Go down
Gunner
Private 2
Private 2
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm

So i couldn't get admin.dat to appear with the already made setup, probably will do it manually. Would i need to edit the run.cmd for the server to run admin.dat? (since i couldnt get it to appear by itself) If i were to change anything, is it okay to change stuff in the autogen_server and server.cfg? ( i noticed when i changed... Ex: Suddendeath for server.cfg, the suddendeath didnt change in autogen_server ) Just to be clear, .txt and .dat is same, aye? -Thanks for helping me out

I'm using these sites so far:

http://grangersba.forummotion.com/t235-how-to-make-a-admindat

http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/Admin_Enable

http://code.google.com/p/oax/wiki/Admin_File

edit: i probably do need admin.dat to appear by itself eh? since its hard to manually assign [admin] and their guid.
2nd edit: i jus made myself really confused.. admin.txt is the admin.dat right? But i just need to edit it to put in [level] [admin] etc... ??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make your own server(windows)   How to make your own server(windows) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to make your own server(windows)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next