{ACR} Admin Crazy Rioters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
{ACR} Admin Crazy Rioters

Tremulous Clan

Home  Portal  Latest images  Search  RegisterRegister  Server Information  IM BugHuman  TeamspeakTeamspeak  IRC  Log in  
All Testing Decisions Will Be Made By The Second In Commands.

Random Map Generator integration

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
teletubbies
Private 2
Private 2

Random Map Generator integration Empty
PostSubject: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 1:50 am

I've found a random map generator for trem that would make some interesting addition to game play :

my idea is to integrate this into ACR server so that upon request the server itself can create and send a new (random) map to players...

1 - create random map
2 - players join the server and auto-downloads it (i dont know if the generator reuses elements, but i strongly believe it does, so the havier pk3 files would be alread in the players computer, only the map layout would be donwloaded ?)
3 - Server starts the match.

This would make game imprevisible.

What you think ?
Back to top Go down
Atlantis
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Random Map Generator integration 87495687

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 am

Its neat and all but theirs a few problems...

1. Most of our community is too dumb to turn on auto download.

2. You don't just download the layout you download the entire map which brings us to #3.

3. Being a random map its not on mercenaries guild so they would have to download it from the server which would be a slow download and be hell on the server.

4. All the .pk3 files would build up and clutter you'r hdd sense their all single use.
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:59 am

its a very cool idea, just not practical - plus there's nooo way in {ACR} is cool any1's ever doing this with a q3 engine...
it would just be too difficult to retrofit this type of technology onto such an antique engine
if you want something that generates random levels, you're going to want a game engine that's specifically
customized to support such features - quake 3, while many things, is not that

the best i can offer is to have admins go on the server and create some new layouts, which the game would
randomly select when loading a specific map, although we have avoided this in the past due to errors
that have occurred... ...but if the admins are careful about what they're up 2, it could work

also, just throwing in here, layout files are server side files that tell the server where to place buildables
on map start up, so the clients don't actually need to download that shit
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyrus.zzl.org/
Atlantis
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 am

vyrus@ubuntu wrote:
its a very cool idea, just not practical - plus there's nooo way in {ACR} is cool any1's ever doing this with a q3 engine...
it would just be too difficult to retrofit this type of technology onto such an antique engine
if you want something that generates random levels, you're going to want a game engine that's specifically

the best i can offer is to have admins go on the server and create some new layouts, which the game would
randomly select when loading a specific map, although we have avoided this in the past due to errors
that have occurred... ...but if the admins are careful about what they're up 2, it could work

also, just throwing in here, layout files are server side files that tell the server where to place buildables

Good job reading vyrus... the random generator for Trem apparently HAS been done..
Back to top Go down
vyrus@ubuntu
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
vyrus@ubuntu

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Atlantis wrote:
vyrus@ubuntu wrote:

Good job reading vyrus... the random generator for Trem apparently HAS been done..

i dont c any links!!!
also someone has no life!
Back to top Go down
http://www.vyrus.zzl.org/
teletubbies
Private 2
Private 2

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 5:07 pm

I cant post links, but a guarantee that a search in google for TremGen is going to give you a link or two...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Map Generator integration   Random Map Generator integration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Map Generator integration
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
{ACR} Admin Crazy Rioters :: Important Info :: Developer's Korner-
Jump to: